Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS)
Conditions that can be seen under the service include:
– Red eye or eyelids
– Dry eye, or gritty and uncomfortable eyes
– Irritation and inflammation of the eye
– Significant recent sticky discharge from the eye or watery eye
– Recently occurring flashes or floaters
– Ingrowing eyelashes
– Recent and sudden loss of vision
– Foreign body in the eye
Please note, this is not a sight test.
If you are unsure whether your symptoms can be assessed and treated by the service, please contact a participating optician who will advise you. Also, if you have a major eye condition that is being regularly monitored by your optometrist or hospital eye service, this will not be covered by this service; for example, cataracts, diabetic retinopathy or glaucoma.